Hey guys, thanks for your patience. I’m really sorry I missed the deadline yesterday, but here it is! had a lot of issues getting something going, but I eventually I fought through it. And I got the post ready. So with out further delay, here it is! So last we saw Leonard he looked like this:
Like I said, I wasn’t happy with the face, but I decided to move on in the interest of getting it done, the Calgary Entertainment and Comic Expo is only two months away, and I really need to make progress, as Leonard is going to be a key piece, along with Sheldon Joker, Penny Harley, and Howard Riddler. So I decided to work on the body instead. I could do this because the different elements were on different layers. I always find a layering approach works for me, because I often use a lot of adjustment layers on individual parts of the piece. But Anyway, let’s get started:
I drew the various parts of Batman’s Armour on the body layer, so they would be easy to isolate, and work on the shading individually with the burn tool. I normally do this on black and white pieces, prior to being colourized, but I thought it would work here, as obviously Batman’s uniform is Dark grey. This results in this picture being the starting point:
The next step is to use the magic wand tool to select the various regions, and start to use the burn tool along, with my favourite tool, the mixing brush, to smooth out the rough edges. This makes it start to look like this:
So far looking good, but by the time I took this screenshot, I realized I had gone too far in this post, so I decided to start from the beginning on his legs. So let’s get started on the bottom half. Again I start by drawing lines on the legs that will eventually be the seams on the uniform, but will also create an area that can be selected by a magic wand, it’ll make the wearer look nice and cut but also slightly fake, like a costume would be and we know how they look in costumes.
I removed the underwear and gloves and boots layer, so I could see what I was doing (another advantage of working in layers), And I notice a few things that need cleaning up first. The right leg is rough, and the lines for the knee don’t line up. I selected them here to show what I was dealing with:
Now obviously this is a very easy problem to fix. Just draw on the new lines, fix the leg, and voila. The areas that are selected there, however, absolutely have to connect to something and the area needs to be sealed off and the layer needs to have the transparency locked. I have a shot here to show where that is on the layer tab.
The layer needs to be locked, or the burn tools and the mixing brush will bleed out into the drawing or will look fuzzy. I don’t want either of those things. Anyway, this is what it looks like when I select the areas now.
Now we start to burn to create the shadows and more depth. In this case, the light is coming from in front of Leonard, and to his right, which means in the drawing above, the right thigh will be darker on the right side and lighter on the left. A little like this.
Alright, looking good, but I noticed I made a mistake. I did say I was having problems, but even in any state I should know he wouldn’t have a kneecap on the right leg facing the camera. Boy I need to get my head out of you know where..
There that looks better. Now to turn on the rest of the hidden layers and we end this post looking like this.
Next post I’m going to finish the gloves, boots and cowl. See you guys then!!